Latt Maxcy Corporation was formed May 1, 1963,
but its concept originated long before in the
mind of Latimer Maxcy, born November 7, 1887,
in Columbia, South Carolina. During
a camping trip in 1904, and after a devastating
freeze, Latt observed that the citrus and vegetable
crops around Lake Reedy near Frostproof weren't
affected. He persuaded his family to
acquire 70 acres on the south side of Lake
Reedy and set it out in citrus trees.
He started work at the age of nine as a water
boy in the phosphate mines for 35¢ per
day. In the process he learned to operate heavy
equipment and applied these skills as a heavy
equipment operator in the northeast, saving
and investing in citrus land of his own, and
eventually moving back to Frostproof in 1914.
He did all the labor himself, even hauling
the fruit to the packinghouse, started buying
fruit from others and later bought interest
in a local packinghouse.
In 1917 he sold out to the Citrus Exchange
and organized his own company, The Lake Reedy
Packing Company at East 6th Street, on the
west side of the Atlantic Coastline Railroad.
In 1925, the Lake Reedy records were closed
and L. Maxcy, Inc. was created.
In the 1920's, Latt Maxcy's interest expanded
to the banking business. World War I
had ended, and the surrounding areas were experiencing
economic growth. Mr. Maxcy and twenty
other men formed the Citizens Bank of Frostproof.
1931, Latt Maxcy owned and operated the largest
of several fresh fruit packinghouses in Frostproof,
as well as an expanding citrus canning and
juice plant next door. He was a pioneer in
citrus canning and processing and later added
a citrus pulp mill at his packinghouse making
it one of the most complete of its kind at
In 1935 he purchased an 80-acre tract in Osceola
County on which he began to raise cattle, and
which ultimately became the site of his ranch
home and the nucleus for vast acquisitions
of land primarily devoted to cattle. By
1949, he had put together a cattle ranch larger
than the state of Massachusetts. Approximately
150,000 acres, the ranch stretched from the
Kissimmee River almost to Vero Beach.
The 1940's and 50's marked great
improvements in the quality and taste of canned
and bottled citrus and juice, exemplified by
the Maxcy brands in which Latimer Maxcy took
great pride, "Silver Nip” and "Golden
Nip." He originated the idea for
Florida Citrus Mutual and was its first president
In 1949, Clinton Foods, Inc. purchased the
citrus holdings of L. Maxcy, Inc. Latt was
persuaded to head up all Florida operations
for "Snow Crop" and is credited with
turning it into a profitable operation. In
1956, Snow Crop was sold to Minute Maid, and
Mr. Maxcy moved his office back to the original
site of Maxcy's Garage. The building
was constructed in 1934 at 33 E. Wall Street,
and had served as a Standard Oil Service Station
and a Ford dealership.
In February 1971, Latt Maxcy
was inducted into the Florida Citrus Hall of
Fame by then Governor Askew. After Latt
Maxcy's death on August 2, 1971, Pat Wilson
became President and Chairman of the Board
of both the Latt Maxcy Corporation and Citizens
Bank and Trust.
In 1973, Pat was named
Producer of the Year” by the Beef Improvement
Federation in recognition of his herd improvement
practices that were carried out on the 150,000
acre El Maximo Ranch. In 1975, he received
the “Cattlemen’s Award” from
the Florida Cattlemen’s Association.
Pat’s dedication to the cattle
industry was evidenced by his service in
numerous cattle industry associations. He
was a Director, Vice President, Treasurer
and two-term President of the Florida Cattlemen’s
Association. In addition, Pat served
as 2nd Vice-President of Region II and member
of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors
of the National Cattlemen’s Assocation.
Pat , on behalf of Latt Maxcy Corporation,
became a founding member of what is known
today as the Florida Land Council. By
uniting farmers with large land holdings,
the Council became a powerful voice representing
landowners’ concerns in the Tallahassee
political arena. Today, total acreage
under membership is 2.5 million, representing
7.2% of all acreage in Florida.
In 1997, the Company sold 45,000 acres
of ranch land to the State of Florida and
began a period of diversification into commercial
real estate development. The Company
is currently involved in several real estate
ventures the majority of which are located
in central Florida. Latt Maxcy Corporation
contracts with Maxcy Development Group in
Tampa to act as manager on all our non–agriculture
related real estate holdings.
In 2005, the Company sold approximately
27,000 acres of ranch lands to a South Florida
developer and decided to eliminate its cattle
operations the following year.
Since Pat Wilson’s passing in
2008, Maxcy grandsons Latimer (Coot)Wilson
and Clayton G. Wilson continue to be involved
in the day to day operations of Latt Maxcy
Corporation. Clay serves as Vice-President
of the citrus division as well as Chairman
of the Board. Lat serves as Vice-President
of the ranch/land operations and is Chairman
of the Board of Citizens Bank and Trust. Maxcy
granddaughters Cynthia Wilson Henry and Patricia
(Jinx) Wilson Chaney serve as President and
Vice-President of the Maxcy Foundation as
well as Board Members for both Latt Maxcy
Corporation and Citizens Bank and Trust.
Latt Maxcy Corporation still maintains
approximately 40,000 acres of ranch lands
and 6,000 acres of citrus. Citrus operations
are based out of Frostproof, Florida and
the company’s corporate headquarters
are located in Lake Wales, Florida. The
Wilson family continues to own 100% of the
Latt Maxcy Corporation as well as 99% of
Citizens Bank and Trust.
The Maxcy/Wilson Family members are committed
to excellence in land stewardship and to continuing
their heritage as a family-controlled holding
company with interests in real estate, agriculture
and other businesses that leverage their strengths.